Re: [OM] Zuiko glow was Ap prefire question

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko glow was Ap prefire question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:02:08 -0700
C.H.Ling wrote:

Ah! you do own a lots of Zuikos, then you should give them more chance to work with you, you will like them.
They are mostly excellent lenses, but also mostly fixed focal length. I really like framing shots as I take them and don't like juggling lenses on and off the camera in rain and dust and wind, so my travel kits lean heavily to zooms. I remember with frustration a fairly recent trip to photograph late afternoon light on hills. I had the 18/3.5, 21/3.5, 24/2.8 and 28/2 and their cases all rolling around in the back seat of the convertible as I reached in to grab one and drop another. I think I would have been better off with the Vivitar 19-35/3.5-4.5. Sure, it has some linear distortion, but I'd never see it in rolling hills.

And there really are some excellent zooms around, but most of them aren't Zuikos. I'd be tempted by the 65-200/4 if not for the common reported problem with them. And, of course, I'm very happy with the results from my Tokina AT-X 35-200/3.5-4.5 and it covers a range that takes 2 Zuikos. I think occasionally about the 35-105/3.5-4.5 and the 35-80/2.8, but I already have the really excellent Tamron Asp 35-105/2.8, which covers the strengths of both in the same length and weight as the 35-80.

Seriously the 90/2 is an excellent lens,

I'm sure it is, but really, how much better than the lenses I have in that range? And macros than only go to 1:2 just drive me crazy. I almost never need 1:1, but often want something beyond 1:2. Sure, I can carry around a couple of auto tubes, more stuff to juggle. I have a Tamron 90/2.5, but the Kiron 105/2.8 almost always gets the call because I don't have to juggle an adapter/tube on and off right around the 1:2 range where I often work. Not trying to be negative, just wondering if a 90/2 would really get much use.

it works well with both slides and negatives. I found it is not easy to found a lens that produce good prints especially with one hour lab.
This just doesn't matter to me. I don't use 1 hour labs and don't shoot slides except for copy work for lectures. I don't even buy 4x6 prints anymore. I have the film processed and scanned. The images are viewed on the computer screen and prints are made on the Epson 1270.

I have good result with 35/2, 35-70/3.6, 50/3.5, 90/2, 180/2.8 but not 135/2.8 and
50/1.4MC >1M, mostly with the same lab and I can't explain why, he poor one
just shown strange contrast. With slides most of them looks fine except 35-70/3.6
which shown low contrast.

Again, contrast is just an adjustment to to black, white and neutral points.

If I didn't get the 40/2 in a package I will not buy it at ebay price. After
selling most of the stuffs I think I only pay less than $100 for it, so not a
bad deal but require some afford to handle the sales.

Now you are talking a price range that's reasonable. Of course, I've been really terrible about selling the excess, so it wouldn't really be cheap for me. :-[

Moose