Re: [OM] Ap prefire question

Subject: Re: [OM] Ap prefire question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:10:00 -0500
At 04:57 AM 6/11/03, Moose wrote:

I don't believe there has been a leaf shutter 35 interchangeable lens RF since the Zeiss Contaflex (Contax? Contarex?) and Retina Reflex, the 50-60s models with leaf shutter and rear elements fixed on the body and front elements interchangable. All the others, living and dead, use focal place shutters.You need an fp shutter of a leaf shutter built into the body to keep the film from being exposed when the lens is changed.

More Zeiss Ikon RF and SLR Info:

Zeiss Ikon's Contax ('32-'45 and '49-'61):
The flagship RF with interchangeable lenses and vertical focal plane shutter. The I, II and III were made prior to and during WWII ('32-'45). The IIa, IIa CD, IIIa and IIIa CD were the post-war redesigned resurrection of the same RF that maintained the same concepts of the II and III.

Contarex ('59-'72):
The post-war flagship SLR with focal plane shutter.

Contaflex prior to WWII ('35-'43):
The TLR "version" of a Contax with focal plane shutter.

Contaflex post WWII ('53-'72):
An SLR at the next tier down from the Contarex. This is the one you're thinking of, with leaf shutter, and *some* models (not all) had interchangeable front elements for the lenses. It *is* an SLR though, not an RF.

-- John