Re: [OM] Ap prefire question

Subject: Re: [OM] Ap prefire question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:39:17 -0700
Is a zoom really necessary? Well what do you mean by necessary? To be a gneuine Zuikoholic? No. To take good pictures? No. To get exactly the angle, perspective, framing I'l looking for? Well, at least easier. If the standard is changed from necessary to convienient. Yes, zooms are tools that make it easier to do lots of photographic things. I particularly like them for the reason C.H. articulated, framing in the camera.

Well, I just made some comments that might be considered negative about those who let brand loyalty get in the way a clear understanding of performance. So as a clear eyed Zuikoholic with Zuikos in virtually every focal length from 18-300mm*, I would not buy a Zuiko as my first zoom. If I am a picture taker rather than a collector, why spend a lot of money on an 85-250/5 when I can get a 60-300 which is the same speed at 250, goes longer at essentially the same speed, is faster at shorter fls, is at least the performance equal and includes quality REAL macro (1:1.6, not the 1:4 that is marketed as macro) all for less than half the price you are talking about. My actual recommendation in general for a first zoom would be something in the 35-200ish range, and Oly got out of the game before producing such a thing.

The only Zuiko soom that really impresses me is the 35-70/3.5-4.5.

Moose

* ok, so I don't have a 40mm, I have 35mm, many 50mms and 2 different 35-70 zooms. And I don't have a 90mm, but I have an 85 and a 100mm. Close enough??

Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:

A zoom.... is it that necessary. I use the zoom of my autofocus stereo
camcoder. Right now I have the possibility of buying the 85~250/5 @ USD
300-350, NEW but not in box (already have the 200/4).