Re: [OM] Ap prefire question

Subject: Re: [OM] Ap prefire question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 02:57:06 -0700
Albert wrote:

I was wondering, what cameras have ap prefire?

Among Olys, the 2S, 4 series OMPC and OM2000 have full mirror and aperture pre-fire. The OM-10, 20(G) and possibly 30(?) have partial mirror and full aperture prefire. I understand other 35mm SLRs have these features, but don't know which.

It seems that RF's have all the benefits of what makes a good sharp picture.

Except a viewfinder that doesn't show what will actually be in the picture, no macro, no serious telephoto without ridiculous and ridiculously expensive accessories, no serious wide angle without auxiliary viewfinder that doesn't focus. So they have a possible theoretical advantage in sharpness for a minority of the pics I take and can't take the others at all. Sounds like a great trade-off to me ;-) RF is just not inherently sharper than SLR. RF focusing has an advantage for some people with WA lenses. SLR generally has an advantage with teles.

No retro focus, no mirror slap, ap is stopped down to the correct size already, and leaf shutters instead of focal plane..

I don't believe there has been a leaf shutter 35 interchangeable lens RF since the Zeiss Contaflex (Contax? Contarex?) and Retina Reflex, the 50-60s models with leaf shutter and rear elements fixed on the body and front elements interchangable. All the others, living and dead, use focal place shutters.You need an fp shutter of a leaf shutter built into the body to keep the film from being exposed when the lens is changed.

I'm now curious if this is the reason why Leica's are exceptionally sharp, and not just good glass.

You continue to believe that Leitz is privy to some special secrets that are unknown to other quality camera/lens manufacturers. Read the results and opinions of those who use many different cameras and lenses, not rabid Leicaholics. Leitz makes lenses on average as good as the best available. They do not make the best lenses available in every single category in which they make a lens. In a blind test at 11x14, your Leica friends wouldn't be able to consistently pick out Leitz lenses from other first class lenses. It's been tried.

It seems to me, Voigtlander, Mamiya etc.. all those that make glass or RF's themselves yield sharp sharp pictures.

So do Can*n, Nik*n, Sigm*, Fuj*, Pent*x, etc. etc.

Or perhaps, there's no "low end consumer anything" as far as RF's?

One assumes here that you are only talking about RFs with interchangeable lenses, as there are a great many inexpensive choices in non-interchangeable lens RFs capable of sharp images

None of the stuff you mention makes any difference for hand held shots.
Have you perhaps been spending a great deal of time in the company of people who judge things on the basis of emotional attachment to names, theories untested by experience, gossip, etc.?

Albert