Re: [OM] Zuiko 21/3.5 in Ireland

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 21/3.5 in Ireland
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 22:56:56 -0700
Some lovely pics there, Chris

Hope you don't mnd a little curmudgeonly rant here.

My recollection from the old days is that pushing a film generally increases contrast and/or grain. Is this not true of current slide films? Back when I shot mostly slides, if I needed a faster film, I just used one designed from the ground up for that speed. Still do that with negative film today.

If a slide film doesn't have enough density range to capture all the range of light I want, why use it? Are there not slide films out there that will do the job? If not, unless one actually does slide shows, why not use negative film and capture the full range of light.

End rant.

Moose

Chris Barker wrote:

I was quite disappointed this week to receive back my slides of Ireland. The Provia 100F had pushed nicely to ISO400 and the slides came back quickly (out by post Monday, back Wednesday!). There were 3 problems: the slides had a few bits of dust on them which required quite a bit of spotting with clone tool etc...; the contrast in Ireland had been a bit too much for the film and I have had to accept washed out highlights in the sky to see the detail in the fore- and mid-ground;