Re: [OM] Starter Camera - OMG

Subject: Re: [OM] Starter Camera - OMG
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 23:26:00 -0700
Different strokes for different folks. I mostly use OM-4 and OMPC bodies.* And I use them probably 980f the time on auto.

Oops, I feel another rant coming on.

Of course I pay attention to all the ramifications of aperture and shutter speed on movement, DOF, etc., but I can't see what the difference is between letting the camera choose the speed with my approval and dialing it in myself - other than taking longer and being less convienient. On those occasions where I diasagree with the camera for reasons beyond it's comprehension, I just use the exposure compension dial. And the camera has an advantage I don't, it can choose shutter speeds over a continuous range, not just the click stops.

I also don't see how learning the effects of shutter speeds by taking the ones I see in the viewfinder and setting them on a ring is any better than seeing the speeds in the viewfinder and knowing that's what I'm using. In fact, it seems to me it would more distracting to a novice to have to set it than to be aware what is being set. Of course I learned the other way, hand held meter and hand set apeture and shutter speed, 'cause that's all there was. I don't think that means it's the best way to learn. May or may not be, probably depends on the person learning. Kids growing up today are quite aware of the relationship between readouts and results.

Yes the OM-1(n) is a wonderful camera. Yes, I thought the OM-2(n) was a tremendous improvement for my method of working.

If I were teaching a novice today, I might start out with a camera, probably digital, that can do everything automatically or manually, set to Auto. I think composition is one of the most difficult things to teach. Learning to see differently than we ordinarily do so as to notice distracting backgrounds or other elements that the eye normally edits out in favor of the object of interest, in order to visualize how the image will look when presented as slide, print or screen image, is essential to good photography. When the learner starts noticing things in the image that aren't what they wanted, the specific photographic issue and solution can be presented in a context in which it matters to the budding photographer, not as part of come complex blather of techie stuff before creating any pictures.

End of rant,
  Moose

* No failures so far. The 4s have Ti circuits and the only OMPC experience so far is a ressurection. One I bought as a parts camera (to replace a broken mirror, not electronics) came to full life with proper batteries - or did that happen with 2?

Moose

Doggre@xxxxxxx wrote:

Wayne wrote:
snip
>I find now that I use an OM2s almost exclusively, and about 950f the time in manual mode.
snip

Me, too, Wayne.<snip>

I would STRONGLY urge new OMers to find an OM-1 or OM-1n for their first or at least 2nd OM. I can see starting kids with the OM-G for several reasons. Or getting into the OM line on a strict budget. But at some point, metering, aperture, DOF relationships will need to be learned if one wants to get the most out of the hobby.