Re: [OM] Zuiko 21/3.5 in Ireland

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 21/3.5 in Ireland
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 11:52:14 +0100
Just so Rich, thanks. You should have been there; you would have stopped to take a photo.

We took the boat to Inishbofin (Inis Bo-Finne) from Cleggan intending to hire bikes on the island. However, it was so far to the bikes (about half a mile) that we decided to keep walking. We stopped for lunch in the Galley Restaurant overlooking this Bay in East End Village (it's at the eastern end y'see ;-)): a little sea food on the terrace with a glass of white wine with the sun on our faces the while. Then we headed up the path into the little hills overlooking this bay, Rusheen Bay, with the mountains called the Twelve Bens (or Pins) in the distance across the sound. The sun continued to shine, the rain continued to be elsewhere and my wife continued to be patient while I got out my OM4, attached the 50-250 and framed the scene presented to me.

Those mountains (yes, I know that they are only little ones, no more than about 2,500ft (Benbaun in the Twelve Bens to the southeast, and the Mweel Rea Mountains to the east) are very photogenic. I was surprised to find mountains so close to the Atlantic, but we were glad to find them. Just to the south of the Mweel Rea Mountains is Killary Harbour, a lough with fairly steep sides and a fjord-like tranquility; at its eastern end is a place called Leenane where there is a pub called Gaynor's Bar. The film The Field used the pub, and it is now called Gaynor's "The Field" Bar ;-). I asked an old fellow next to the window if I could take his photo and he told me that he was in the film. They served good Guinness there as well. I would not have gone in, but an old schoolfriend had taken me fishing on Lough Corrib, using Mayfly, real and artificial and we stopped for a wet on the way back to his place at Letterfrack.

I know I am rambling, but I will stop now ...

Chris