Re: [OM] Zuiko 21/3.5 in Ireland

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 21/3.5 in Ireland
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 20:33:15 -0600
On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 07:10 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
I was quite disappointed this week to receive back my slides of Ireland. The Provia 100F had pushed nicely to ISO400 and the slides came back quickly (out by post Monday, back Wednesday!).

No need to be disappointed, they're very nice pictures! Why did you choose to push to 400? Did you have some interior shots too where you wanted the extra stops?

There were 3 problems: the slides had a few bits of dust on them which required quite a bit of spotting with clone tool etc...; the contrast in Ireland had been a bit too much for the film and I have had to accept washed out highlights in the sky to see the detail in the fore- and mid-ground; and the blasted polariser had intruded into the corners on several shots.

Well, I always have to spend some time with the clone tool on each scan. The next scanner I get will have ICE! The contrast looks fine overall, and especially nice on the third Inishbofin and second Omey Is. shots. The only shot I see vignetting on is the Connemara shot, so at least you got some good 21mm shots.

The vignetting was my fault as I had used a hood as well as a Hoya super-slim polariser. Because the hood would not allow me easily to fit the filter, I had screwed it in only gently. This was obviously just a bit too far forward for my superwide Zuiko.

How did the hood interfere with the filter? Is the problem specific to Hoya filters?

Let me know if they will not show for you, or if they are too dark or light.

They look just fine. However, the "Home" link on the individual shot pages refers to "index.htm" and not "index.html".

p.s. Ireland is a beautiful place, so if my shots don't show that, go and find out for yourself. Oh, and the Guinness really is better there ;-) cb.

They most definitely do, but I still plan on getting there someday and conducting extensive Guinness tests myself :)

Mark