Re: [OM] 17mm's

Subject: Re: [OM] 17mm's
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 17:01:08 -0700
Joel, the 19-35/3.5-4.5 focuses in the same direction as a Zuiko, NOT like a Nikk*r.

There are 2 very different super-wide zooms that are sold under various brand names:

The 19-35/3.5-4.5 is a fairly recent design which uses plastic extensively. Although relatively large compared to any one of the Zuikos in the same fl/speed range, it is quite light at 345g/12.17oz. Mine is a Vivitar Series 1 and I know they are also sold under the Phoenix brand and very possibly under others.

The 18-28/4-4.5 is a slightly older design of predominantly metal construction weighing 477g/16.83oz. This is made by Samyang, but also sold under the Phoenix label in the past, and again, possibly others. It focuses the opposite way from Zuikos.

In prior threads about these 2 lenses, opinions about the 18-28 vary quite a lot, both as to optical quality and, to a lesser extent, about build quality. There are a lot of list members who equate metal construction with quality and reliablility and they generally dis the 19-35. A couple of listees have commented that their 19-35 feels like it won't last because of the plastic construction, but that it works perfectly so far and is good enough and cheap enough that they aren't worried. I don't recall any actual negative mechanical experiences with the 19-35 being posted.

Brian has posted magazine tests of these 2 and many other lenses on his site at <http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/0.000000E+00bj/zuiko/> . He has asked that this URL not be posted anywhere outside the list. Based on those tests the 19-35 appears to be the optically better lens. I have the 19-35 and am quite happy with it, but have never used the 18-28.

Moose

Piers Hemy wrote:

Joel, I recently sold a Phoenix 18-28.  It focused the wrong way.  Whether
that means the 19-35 does too...

I wholly agree with Moose that "it is an interesting way" et seq.

Piers

On Behalf Of Joel Wilcox

Moose,
Does the Phoenix focus in the "correct" way (like a Zuiko)?  I have a Sigma
21-35 which is quite good but focuses like a N*kkor.

Joel W.