Re: [OM] Which slide scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] Which slide scanner
From: Donald Shedrick <shedridc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:00:35 -0700 (PDT)
--- Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you plan on scanning Kodachromes, you should run a test of the
> scanner
> using a high contrast slide to see how it behaves.  I find the
> Coolscan IV
> is very bad, it produces very blochy shadows and is extremely flare
> prone.

Interesting comment.  I use the Polaroid SprintScan 35 Plus, and
Kodachromes scan just as well as Ecktachromes (slightly different
color settings of course).  As far as dust and scratches, they just
don't seem to be much of a problem with slides - an occasional clone
is all I need.  For negatives, it seems to be much more visible.  I
have found that the dust and scratch removal on my old Adobe Photo
Deluxe 3.0 works great, as does the grain remover.  You have to
fiddle with the settings, but it is easy.  BTW, I can't afford the
full blown Photoshop. :-(

=====