Re: [OM] photographing hummingbirds

Subject: Re: [OM] photographing hummingbirds
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:11:29 -0700
An interesting thread to me as I lived for a few years with a woman who was a rehabber of sick and injured hummingbirds. From spring to fall, we would have tiny and medium cages in the 'bird room', larger cages on the deck and a large aviary in the back yard occupied by eveything from 'beans', featherless newborns the size of coffee beans, to adults. Fascinating creatures, incredibly fierce and independent. Siblings could be raised in the same nest, fledge together and share the same cage for a few days, then boom - the stronger would start terrorizing the weaker and they had to be separated. Legal sidenote: In California, all wildlife is legally the property of the State and anyone who has it in their possesion, esp. including for medical care, must have a licence or work for a licenced facility.

Photographic content: If I were setting up all this stuff for such an expedition, I would take test pictures of a dummy bird to test and adjust exposure and lighting angles/coverages and be sure all the equipment works properly. Moving the dummy back and forth would also give a definitive DOF range with your particular setup and any given f-stop. It's a lot better to know exactly how your setup works and how to work it smoothly and quickly before using it on live, unpredictable subjects. As with all artificial lighting, setup can make the difference not only between even and uneven lighting, but between flat and 3-D looking lighting. You can't test whether exposure speed is going to stop the wing motion, but you can do a lot to get experience with the rig and maximize the chances of good results in the field. Rather than speculating whether 1/60 with the setup you are going to use will give ghosting, you could try waving a stick rapidly in front of your setup and shooting it. A longer stick doesn't have to 'beat' as rapidly as a 2" wing to reach the same speed of movement.

Since you don't plan to use TTL flash and are concerned about ghosting, you might try an OM2000 for its 1/125 sec. flash sync speed. Of course, it has the drawback of not supporting a winder or MD.

Moose

Matt BenDaniel wrote:

William,

Thanks. Your advice is appreciated, and my responses are below. However, if you
read the web page by the world-class expert (Paonessa) referenced in my
original message, you'd understand why I chose my approach. I have also seen
similar advice in a hummer book by a another leading hummer photographer
(Rucker).