[OM] photographing hummingbirds

Subject: [OM] photographing hummingbirds
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:39:48 -0700
You're asking questions that, unfortunately, can be best answered only by
experimentation. Those beautiful photos you see in books were not obtained
on the first attempt! You're going to have to experiment with the equipment
you have. I see a couple of things you need to consider.

>> If you're synched at 1/60, you're going to have to be in a really dark
area, even with ISO 100 film. f/32 is only one stop less than "sunny 16"
exposure.

>> Using multiple flashes close to the subject will almost certainly produce
uneven illumination and (possibly) unpleasant shadows.

>> Flash duration and intensity are tied to each other. With the equipment
you have, you can't simultaneously achieve high intensity and brief
duration.

>> How do you intend to force the hummingbirds to come within range of the
camera?

After figuring out how to get the hummingbird to "pose," I'd start by using
_one_ flash and seeing what happens. Then go from there.

I recommend borrowing a Polaroid 180 or 195, along with the close-up kit,
and taking several test shots.