Re: [OM] photographing hummingbirds

Subject: Re: [OM] photographing hummingbirds
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:36:55 -0700
Fortunately the rats driving everybody crazy in my neighborhood lately are non-native and unprotected.

Many non-native species are illegal in CA because they tend to drive out native species. Ferrets are a good example. The State confiscates any ferrets found as pets and destroys any they catch in the wilds. Cute and cuddly as ferrets can be, I would hate to lose the native weasels. I met one up close in the wild and they are quite attractive and interesting little ceatures. No pix 'cause I didn't want to move and scare it away. Considering the speed with which it disappeared when it realized it had come within a foot or so of the feet of such an enormous creature as me, I wouldn't have gotten a pic anyway.

Moose

James N. McBride wrote:

The California authorities didn't want people to clear brush to make their
homes more safe from fires because it was habitat for the Pacific Rat.
Building permits on the South side of Los Angeles required evaluation of the
habitat for these rats also. Some people really take things too damn far and
ruin what, sometimes, starts out as a good idea.