Re: [OM] lcd brightness problem

Subject: Re: [OM] lcd brightness problem
From: W Shumaker <omlist@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:53:49 -0500
At 07:58 PM 3/26/2003, Clint wrote:
>DO NOT spray anything on it from the outside, whatever you do!  Or from
>the inside, for that matter.  If you know how and where to start, you
>might clean around the right components on the right circuit board with
>solvent on a tissue....

Yes, definitely listen to the expert here. As an electrical engineer,
we clean circuit boards after soldering, but the circuit board is
completely separate from anything else. I was just suggesting that if
there is a moisture shorting problem, it can be dealt with by cleaning?
But leave it to the experts! Don't spray anything into a camera. Only
work one it if you know you can isolate the problem. I felt my camera
malfunction was moisture related because the symptoms appeared in
summer and disappeared in winter, and may not be related to what you
are experiencing. (read: taken with a grain of salt, but keep the salt
away from the camera :-).

>4's will all have different circuit boards than the 4t's, unless the
>main circuit was replaced after Olympus ran out of the original 4
>circuits.  But the basics are all the same.

I was noticing different circuits on what I thought were later 4t's
versus earlier 4t's. For instance, the processor seems to be a flatpak
with leads out the side in the later models, while in earlier models
the processor pins are not exposed. I was guessing that there were chip
packaging changes and Olympus was just adjusting their boards to what
was available. Just one more thing contributing to the demise of OM
production - retooling for available parts.

In the mean time, my OM-4t that is intermittent in the display has been
relegated to the spare parts bin as its value compared to the cost of a
repair is just not worth it. I fear that eventually my OM's will all
start biting the dust and I will have to switch to another brand of
wonder-brickness. But they just don't make the display optics the same
anymore. I guess if you have fancy autofocus, what need is there for a
high quality display? Am I moaning too much here??

Wayne