RE: [OM] Camera Frinzy!!

Subject: RE: [OM] Camera Frinzy!!
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:22:55 +1100
> Albert [mailto:olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Why do people (MEN!!) feel the need to compare (and laugh) at other
> people's cameras?

Hey, let's be honest Albert. Many of us here are comparing equipment
(no euphamism intended ;-) ) all the time here!. I, by practice,
compare my OM-kit to my E*S-kit all the time, though I rarely
laugh - I leave that to the people looking at me with two
SLR's and a DC/P&S slung around my neck - sometimes I cry, at
the money that could've been spent on other luxuries, like
food and housing.

Which is, of course, not what you're saying. For my experience, in
the city, predominantly in the main city (lunchtime worker/tourist
crowded) park, I rarely get anything so dismissive when just carrying
around my OM1, or my non-SLR digital now. I wonder if it's the not so
much the "old camera" slung around my neck, but the fact that it
only has a simple small 50 (more to the point - non superzoom),
which says "intention" rather that "affordability". In a similar
vein with the DC, when you tilt the screen, get down on your
stomach in the dirt, and aim at something seemingly odd to others
(that is, not a couple standing in front of a fountain), you tend
to get folks who go well out of the way to, perhaps, respect
your photographic attempt, regardless of what latest wonderbrick
and "L"uxury lens they have attached to their belly.

So, my advice is....roll in the dirt, point your camera at odd
things, think about and keep reframing your shots, and people will
no longer laugh, but will keep out of your way out respect for
you as a serious photographer.....(I'm *sure* it's the "serious
photographer" thing, and not the "rolling in the dirt talking
to himself taking pictures of the underside of leaves" thing
that makes them keep a wide berth ;-) )

Wear rags so that you don't get good clothes dirty - that adds
to your credibility.

Cheers
Marc (tongue-in-cheek)
Sydney, Oz