Re: [OM] Re: Airport X-ray

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Airport X-ray
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:57:55 +0000

IIRC, didn't William the Conqueror sail east across the English Channel in 1066? And didn't he set out from what is now Normandy?

I'm having cognitive dissonance now. How can the British ruin someplace that a very significant number of them originated from to begin with? Perhaps I'm over-simplifying this. ;-)

Yeah, it's amazing how a thousand years of intervening history can "complexify" something so simple...

Garth

Well as I understand it Guillaume and his conquerors weren't actually French, they were Vikings who had previously headed south for better weather. Normans = Norsemen. As we weren't conquered by the French we are perfectly entitled to ruin France!

To have been conquered by the French would have been galling indeed :)

Roger