Re: [OM] Why OM3/T?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why OM3/T?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:25:57 -0600
At 10:54 PM 1/29/2003 -0500, you wrote:
There is only a 3Ti.  I do not believe there was ever a 3T.

The 4T was the US version of the 4Ti.  Towards the end, there were only 4Ti
bodies, in fact, only Black 4Ti bodies.

So, 4T = 4Ti.

Just for the fun of it, here are some further distinctions that may affect perceived value. (Please correct me if I flub this, my friends.)

The straight 4 is black only. (There was no "chrome" version.)

The US 4T was available in both black and charmpagne.  The world 4Ti was also.

Later, when the US-distinct "4T" was dropped and only one version "4Ti" was made, the champagne version was dropped. So a champagne 4Ti is a world version, and one of the older 4T/Ti models extant.

So we know then that 4T versions are older than some but not all 4Ti versions. My perception of the market is that black 4Ti versions are always valued a little more highly than 4T because they *might* be newer (even though they might not), and to repreat, we know that a champagne 4Ti is older because newer versions were simply not made after the US and world versions united under the 4Ti marque.

If your 4Ti grew up in the US, it probably is newer.

There are differences between what a 4 and 4T/Ti can do (Super FP flash on 4T/Ti only), and my recollection from the technical guys is that there were incremental improvements (slightly different circuit boards?) along the development of the 4/4T/4Ti.

That said, I've got a champagne 4T and it's a sweet unit. And a 4 is probably the best value in a camera for the money in the OM line if you can live without the super FP flash.

Joel W.