Re: [OM] Why OM3/T?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why OM3/T?
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 12:15:15 -0800
The original cost of the OM-3/T refelects the fact that it is more expensive and labor intensive to build a camera with a mechnical shutter than an electronic shutter and interface that with the advanced electronics of the flash and metering systems, not neccesarily it's utility. Now the rareity of a very small production run keeps the prices elevated.

As for advantages, not being dependent on batteries can be a real benefit. I still recall being on Mt Rainier, trying to shoot at 1/60 because not only did the orginal batteries in my OM-2s die, but the backup set was dead as well! If you do a lot of fill flash the OM-3/T is the best OM for the job.

For some people the OM-3/T is just the best tool for what they want to do. It may not be worth the extra cost to you ro me, but it is to other folks. (For me my ugly old OM-3 and my OM-4/T gives me the features I would want out of the OM-3/T.)

Jim Couch

Richard F. Man wrote:

As far as I know, these are advantages that an OM-3/T has over OM-4/T:
- all mechanical shutter. No battery, no problem. Then again, a spare pair of battery takes up zero space... - 3T can have the shutter in any speed under 1/60 under auto mode. Thus allowing fill flash control. Then again, a modern Metz flash does some of that too.
- No need for that spot memory button :-)
- Collector's Value

The CONS are
- no auto-exposure
- no self-timer

AFAIK, the shutter loudness and the mirror vibration issue, is exactly the same as the 4/T.

Did I forget anything? If so, then really, it's that Collectors' Value thing that makes a used 3 sells for about $600-$1000 whereas a used 4 sells for about $250-$500, and a used 3T for $900-$1600 and a used 4T for $400-$650.