Re: [OM] Why OM3/T?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why OM3/T?
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 13:40:28 -0000
Build quality is not different from the 4(Ti), ie equivalent to a 1 or 2
with some modernisation (fewer mechanical components in larger chunks).
The problem with the 3 is that from a circuit point off view, it is a 4
stuck in manual mode. There is no need to supply current to the solenoids,
so the batteries should go on further down the temperature scale, but it
inherits the transistor flash sync circuit from the 2s and 4, rather than
the microswitch system of the 1 or 2, which is harder to set up but will
work any time the shutter runs. It also means that there is no interlock on
manual for non - dedicated guns, so these ill fire at any speed, including
1/2000.
Living in England, with some trips to the Alps, my cold weather exposure is
not sufficient to challenge the cameras in this respect, so even my OM40 has
managed the conditions without trouble. I'm sure others living in more
challenging environments will have a much better view on these things.
In regard to this, Olympus do seem to take more care of this aspect of
design than others. My niece went on a school trip to Iceland recently,
armed with an Olympus P&S (don't know which, I had no connection with the
purchase). Her schoolmates had various other brands, including C*n*n, N*k*N
etc, all of which failed in the cold. She came back with the only set of
outdoor photos. I don't know if this applies to the entire range of the
various brands, but it is encouraging none the less.

Julian
Cambs, UK