RE: [OM] OT --laid off :(

Subject: RE: [OM] OT --laid off :(
From: "George M. Anderson, Photographer" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 09:31:40 -0800
Even I am shocked at how many folks are posting their layoff stories.

My story took a different turn yesterday, sortof. Having been out of work
since a year ago Xmas, I've been selling photos and haven't sent out a
single resume-I figured I didn't need the rejection-and just haven't been
worrying about it (much).  So, about a month and a half ago someone sets up
a reunion pizza dinner for the engineers from the company 2 layoffs ago.
About 30 engineers show up. Most are still working. A couple have sent out
"hundreds" of resumes without a single response (I took that as validation
of my approach:>) Others are fearing the axe soon. But one former coworker,
who's now an engineering mgr at a small company in Sunnyvale, says to me
"I've got an open req for a position that you'd be perfect for. Interested?"
Unbelievable.  "Sure" I say.

This could not possibly have come at a better time.  No art shows available
this time of year (well, except for the top-notch shows in the Phoenix area
to which I applied but was rejected by all but one grrr), several BIG
one-time bills due in addition to the monthly BIG ones.  Just gettin real
dicey.

So I went on the interview 2 weeks ago, felt I did OK, but was real rusty on
some technical questions (a year of Cibachrome chemicals may have clouded my
remaining neurons) and came away thinking I had a 60-40 chance of an offer.
Finally, yesterday at 7PM I get an email from my coworker says he's got most
of the signatures he needs and is now pushing for a decent salary.  Here's
the thing about salary: he and I spoke early on and I acknowledged that
salaries have dropped (thanks a lot, H1Bs) and that I was willing to take
*15 0.000000e+00ss than my last position.* Well, his email implied that he's
having
trouble even approaching that figure.

So now strangely enough I'm thinkin I may turn down the offer if the salary
is too much of a cut.  Am I crazy?  Well, dont answer that. But why should I
go in at, say, 25 0.000000e+00ss than I was making, have to commute 2 or more
hours a
day, have to work 10 or more hours a day, be away from my family all week,
put up with the BS, try to meet unmeetable schedules, do things wrong
because somebody up above thinks they're right, yada yada?

If I can somehow get by til March, I know I can double my photo sales over
last year based on what I've learned about the art show circuit, what shows
not to do again, what shows to sell my soul to get into, some new ideas for
product etc. And with refi-ing my house and plans to move to a cheaper area,
I can provide for my family on photography alone and I would love that.
But, how do I get by til March ... ?

George