Re: [OM] OT --laid off :(

Subject: Re: [OM] OT --laid off :(
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 13:28:09 -0700
At 12:13 PM 1/18/2003 -0800, Winsor Crosby (in response to James N. McBride) wrote:

[snip]

Actually the way I understand that cable broadband works, you are on a network with everyone else who subscribes to the cable company service. And your speed is governed by how many are on line. And you should probably set up the usual network safeguards to protect yourself from hacking by a fellow subscriber.

At the very least, a software firewall on each of your 'puters sharing the cable connection. I've recommended ZoneAlarm (which is free) or ZoneAlarm Pro (which costs money but has more features) to many people, and had no complaints. I've used ZoneAlarm Pro myself for the last two years, and haven't had a single successful break-in to my machine (though there's been countless attempts).

You can get the various versions of ZoneAlarm etc. here (the freebie's available off of the bottom of their "Downloads" page):

     http://www.zonelabs.com

No other connection.  Just really like the product.

Garth