Re: [OM] OM-4T + non-OM flash question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4T + non-OM flash question
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:32:50 -0500
> Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 10:41:11 -0500
> From: Pschings@xxxxxxx

> Assuming there was film in the camera, I wonder if the Contax flash is
> confusing the OM-4Ti into thinking there's really an F280 on board, and
> it's trying to do FP flash.

> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:47:10 -0600 (CST)
> From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> It's not a good idea to mix dedicated flashes with different brands
> of body. ...
> Check the voltage on any non-dedicated flash before you try in on
> a camera. Otherwise you my get a several $100 repair bill.

Good point, and I hadn't thought of this. I'd been using it as a dumb flash
on my OM-20 (picked it up for $5), but after Paul Schings' comment I checked
and the flash does have two rear contacts that could mate with the FP
contacts on the 4T. I measured 3.3V between the X contact and the side
contact (I presume this is commond ground) and 3.6V between the right rear
contact and ground. This sounds OK for most circuitry. The references I
found cited 6V as the safe limit - anyone have any good references to share
on this problem?

In the meantime perhaps I'll keep this flash off the 4T, and check trigger
voltage on the MedaLight strobe. Perhaps I'll need to use a T flash or F280
on the 4T. Or get the OM-dedicated Miranda 650 that Heritage is selling.

I'm technically-minded and not shy of experiments, but without good
documentation on both devices I don't want to risk blowing the 4T. Besides,
if you'll excuse the expression, this kind of thing has the potential to get
in the way of taking photographs.

Andrew