Re: [OM] OM-4T + non-OM flash question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4T + non-OM flash question
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 10:41:11 -0500
Cc: andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 1/9/2003 10:19:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I just tested a shoe-mounted Contax flash on it. It seemed to work fine on
> manual, but when I tested on auto the shutter stayed open a long time (I had
> to switch to manual to close it when I tested in low light). It seems that
> not only did the camera not control the flash (which I expected) but that
> the light from the flash wouldn't cause it to close the shutter. Pointing it
> at an incandescent light caused it to close the shutter.

This is unusual. The meter should close the shutter as soon as there is enough
light, as reflected off the film. There was film in the camera, correct? If
not, that's probably your problem.

Assuming there was film in the camera, I wonder if the Contax flash is
confusing the OM-4Ti into thinking there's really an F280 on board, and it's
trying to do FP flash. Instead of getting a long duration of pulses the flash
just gives the one quick pulse, which might be happening before the meter sees
it.

> Anybody informed enough to
> - give a knowledgeable explanation
> - assess whether this is OK behavior?
>
> I'll go test the big strobe next, but since this will be on
> the PC socket I expect similar results.

On the PC socket you can only do non-TTL flash, anyway. Either manual or
flash-controlled auto.

Paul Schings