Re: [OM] Film vs. Digital in terms of $$$

Subject: Re: [OM] Film vs. Digital in terms of $$$
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:08:02 +0800
"Richard F. Man" wrote:

> At 12:11 PM 12/18/2002 +0800, C.H.Ling wrote:
> >Stablize? I think it will just like computer price/performance, it
> >never happen.
>
> Actually, I don't think it will be that bad. I don't see it will be that
> much difference between the evolution of digital cameras and the film
> cameras, starting say, in 2005. We will have lots of new technologies being
> introduced in the next 3 years or so, but it will stabilize.

Depends on your standard of "stabilize", see how the AF camera
stabilized in this 17 years since 1985. They were only paying at very
limited features like AF speed, frame rate and some additional
control... but there were still lots of new generations that pushing
you to make changes. I know some still paying with the Minolta 7000
and Nikon AF501 but they are not the average people, if you are belong
to that group you properly will not change to DC until film is not
available.

DC has much more improvement to be done in coming years, noise is one
of the issue, ever think of using a ISO6400 DC with noise level of
current ISO100? Ever think of continue shooting without stop until you
memory card full? Just two examples and there are much more you may
never even dream about. Don't expect it will close to stabilize in 5
years. Unless you are the one that is easy satisfied, if so you can
now get one with everything you want with less than $1000 and enjoy
the fun, why bother with the price drop in a few months or a year?

> Once that happens, then new camera models will be introduced with this and
> that new and better features, but there is a limit, unless the nature of
> photography changes.

May be the OM users are a bit special, they are still using a 30 years
old OM-1 so they don't think the new features a really interesting one
:-)

C.H.Ling