Re: [OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring?

Subject: Re: [OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring?
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:27:53 +0000
I'm very jealous! Never been to South America, planning a lengthy trip there in a year or so but it's a long time to wait.

I always take a pretty minimal kit when I'm travelling (mainly because the kit I own is fairly minimal anyway!), and I tend to find that 28/50/135 lenses cover pretty much everything I need. I feel the lack of a wider lens so would take a 24 or 21 if I had it, but a 2x converter sorts me out for longer focal lengths.

Good insurance would give you the peace of mind to take more kit if you wanted it, but check up what the excess is. Say something did happen and you lost a body and two lenses, some policies would have you paying the first 40 pounds (or whatever) on each item, others only the first 40 pounds on the total cost of replacements.

I think it would be the rainy season down there right now, wouldn't it? If it's anything like Central America in the rainy season the humidity will be fearsome, but having spent nearly seven weeks in rainy season conditions a couple of years ago I heartily recommend silica gel packets - lots of them! My lenses have thus far survived a fair amount of extreme humidity without a trace of ill-effect - I always pack them with a sachet of silica gel each.

Roger