[OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring?

Subject: [OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring?
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:35:50 +0100
Hi guys,

Well, as you may have read in a previuos TOPE message, on December 8th we're
off to Venezuela for 3 weeks...

Now, in an ideal world, I'd bring a substantial amount of gear, yet, the
current economical and political situation in Venezuela, is of some concern
to me in terms of the safety of bringing ,y most beloved toys.

What I'd like to bring is (at least):
OM-4Ti
24/2
35-80/2.8
100/2
65-200/4
300/4.5
T32
F280
Video tripod
Proper camerabag (probably the LowePro)

However, I think I'll have to use my stealth-lower-cost line-up, consisting
of something like:
OM-4Ti (no way this one stays home!)
24/2.8
35-70/3.6
135/2.8 or 65-200/4
T32
Light weight, small tripod
Worn down, small, low-cost, trashy looking back-pack

So.... The choice of gear has already been heavily limited down to a small
line-up like mentioned above, and I am certain I will bring the OM-4Ti, and
will leave the 35-80/2.8 at home. The items I'm not too certain about,
however, are the 24/2 and the 100/2. The latter being my favourite lens, and
the former ranking very high on that list as well. Combine that with the
added advantage of their speed over their mentioned alternatives, as well as
my familiarity with those two lenses, and just the way I prefer these lenses
over their alternatives, and you can probably imagine I'm still pondering
what to do...

I should also mention that we plan to go to the Amazon as well. Now, this is
a dark and humid place, so the F2 would come in really handy (as does fast
film, BTW ;) ), but on the other hand, I'm not certain the humidity would
cause damage to these lenses. In terms of the "mugging risk", I will check
to see if I can get sufficient travel insurance to cover a total loss, but I
also wonder a bit about the humidity factor.

Anyone who can give me some advice (be it by gut feeling or by experience)?

I'm getting really partial towards bringing the following:
OM-4Ti (no way this one stays home!)
24/2
35-70/3.6
100/2
T32
Light weight, small tripod
Worn down, small, low-cost, trashy looking camouflage back-pack

...however, I wouldn't want to do without the 24/2 nor the 100/2 after the
trip...

Cheers!
Olafo