Re: [OM] Kodak's 14MP SLR

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodak's 14MP SLR
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 17:28:44 -0700

I thought the main issue with wide angle lenses was related to the fact that
the sensor isn't capturing the full RGB for each pixel and the interpolation
only works well when the light is coming in at a right angle to the sensor
(or close to a right angle). Which is why you see the bands of Red, Green,
and Blue along the edges when using a wide angle. That's based on my
relatively weak understanding of the issues so I could be 100% wrong here.
But, if that is the case, then I'd think that the X3 chip would produce much
better results with wide angle lenses than a conventional sensor.

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/

I don't really know anything either, but my understanding is that the banding is a result of increasing angles of the light toward the edge of the chip and that it has to do with the pixel sensor being recessed on the chip. Since the Foveon stacks sensors for each color at each point on the sensor it seems to me that the bottom one is going to be evenly more recessed.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California