Re: [OM] Kodak's 14MP SLR

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodak's 14MP SLR
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 16:42:44 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "The Bobbs" <thebobbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2002 3:43 PM

> If the answer is "$800 vs $1000" -- then it depends on the rest of the
> "system".  Good Nikon AF lenses are expensive.  If a nice kit of lenses
can
> be built for an APS or 4/3" system for substantially less than Nikon and
> those lenses are lighter and "brighter", gladly, I would go with a smaller
> overall system, even if bodies were comparable prices.
>
> There has been lots of debate on various web sites about what Olympus
> really means with respect to their 4/3 standard.  And I did read the one
> discussion that implied what was really meant was a 4:3 aspect ratio.  But
> most other news items suggest a 4/3" sensor size is what was meant and to
> me, that makes the most sense.

Well, without having read any of the info on the 4/3 system I'm not going on
any actual details I've read. The 1 reason I can think of for 4:3 aspect
ratio is that it matches the standard monitor aspect ratio (640x480,
1024x768, 1600x1200, etc).

I'm wondering how much advantage a smaller sensor would be though for a
digicam. Full frame sensors haven't resulted in larger bodies than the
earlier non-full-frame versions. I think the bigger size factor would be the
other electronics. Of course most/all of the current full-frame bodies have
been built around existing 35mm bodies so perhaps there hasn't been a strong
impetus to create anything smaller.

Granted, 4/3" lenses could be much smaller and also use smaller AF motors
because of this.

Personally, the 14MP res is at a point where I'm starting to seriously
consider digital. What I'd like to see though is that resolution with
Foveon's X3 technology (or similar) which captures full RGB for every pixel
(instead of the current sensors which use 1/2 Green, 1/4 Red, and 1/4 Blue
which is then interpolated to full RGB). Fast and quiet AF, useable MF,
accurate metering, nice range of affordable high quality lenses, lightweight
(this is crucial for me), and good battery life. I'd love to see a manual
focus digicam but I don't think that will ever happen.

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/