Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:40:15 GMT
Cc:
>That's interesting... I wonder if they would strip a good lens
>if I send them my 16/3.5 or 8/2.8 fisheyes?

Considering that Olympus does not have any more in stock, I
doubt it.

>That's a crazy OEM parts policy, somebody didn't do the
>planning right.

I disagree.  I think their planning was excellent, not to mention
short sighted and ruthless.  The evidence clearly suggests that
Olympus made a conscious decision many years ago to kill the
OM product line.  They stopped manufacturing everything and just
waited until so much was NLA that they were forced to announce
end of sales.  They did not want to end up with an inventory of
unsold goods, so they "forgot" to inform the buying public that
parts and new components would shortly start to be unavailable.
A more reputable company would have announced end of sales when
they ceased manufacturing, and only after they stockpiled enough
spare parts to realistically support their customers during a
reasonable time period.  Remember that auto/truck manufacturers
generally try to supply parts for at least ten years, and it
usually works out to be much longer than that.

Pete