Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:15:47 GMT
Cc:
> This is extremely interesting.  As John H. recently posted,
> almost all OM lenses are now discontinued.  As I seriously
> doubt if Olympus is keeping new lenses for use as spare parts,
> this means that there are no parts for many lenses anymore.
> Olympus' claim to provide service for 'X' years is disingenuous
> at best.
>
>This isn't new, its been like this for the past few years.  Even
>before the OM system was officially discontinued, it was getting
>hard to get many of the parts for "current" lenses and bodies.
>Nothing has really changed except for the fact that the parts
>pool is getting smaller.  These days one would be wise to check
>availablity of parts before purchasing any "slghtly damaged"
>lenses.  You could very easily get stuck with a doorstop.

In my experience, companies have a culture, good or bad.  That
culture stays with the company even with the turnover of large
numbers of employees because new ones are either indoctrinated
with the culture or retreat to apathy.  Olympus demonstrated a
lack of integrity by announcing end of sales after they made a
de facto decision to cease providing spare parts.  I for one
will remember this saga when it becomes time to purchase my
first DSLR.

Pete