Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:14:41 GMT
Cc:
>The truly infuriating thing is that parts for some (if not
>most) of these lenses are officially "NLA" -- No Longer
>Available!  When I asked someone at Olympus how they could
>still sell items if repair parts weren't available (for
>warranty repairs, etc.), I was told that if I had one that
>needed work I should send it in to Olympus for repair -- if
>it needed parts, they'd just go to the warehouse and strip
>the part off a new lens!  But they would NOT sell the parts
>for anyone "outside" to do the work.

This is extremely interesting.  As John H. recently posted,
almost all OM lenses are now discontinued.  As I seriously
doubt if Olympus is keeping new lenses for use as spare parts,
this means that there are no parts for many lenses anymore.
Olympus' claim to provide service for 'X' years is disingenuous
at best.

Pete