Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:35:41 -0700
In a message dated 10/10/2002 Tom Scales writes:

<< Isn't that illegal in the U.S.?  They just announced the line as
discontinued. I thought there was a U.S. law that REQUIRED them to provide
spare parts for something like 7 years. >>

Yes, it is 7 years for consumer items AFAIK. The part I found
interesting was the claim on Olympus' web site they will provide parts
for "10 years" and then customer (dis)service tells me the 350/2.8 "an
old lens that was discontinued 10 years ago" which I know is a line of
you know what...

I'm not too concerned about the tripod mount (and while I have a QR
plate for my Bogen tripod, I do not have one for the only thing this
lens is used with--a Gitzo monopod) since doing something there is no
big deal. I do want to resolve the lensmount issue though since I
dropped my favorite body because of it. I talked with Ken at K&S today
and he indicated he may be able to work on it the same day while I hang
out in town. That would be preferable to shipping it. Fresno is a long
drive (~2 1/2 hours each way), but it may be worth the trip. It looks
like a really easy job to me, just a matter of getting the part(s). Ken
thinks he may have some junker lenses with parts that may work (no, he
doesn't have a junked 350).

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com