Re: RE: [OM] [OT] Doin' the Airbag Bash

Subject: Re: RE: [OM] [OT] Doin' the Airbag Bash
From: siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 01:06:22 -0700
9/23/2002 12:51:44 AM, "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>
>Regards the airbags, I have one on my car.  Only became popular recently in
>the UK (compared with the US) and I only have 1 - in the steering wheel.
>This seems like a good idea, as even with a belt I'm likely to hit the wheel
>with my head in an accident.  I have heard, however, that if you hold the
>wheel at a certain position (ie hands in a certain place) then the force of
>the airbag going off will force you arms & hands back into your face.  The
>rumour continues that you end up poking your eyes out with your own thumbs.
>Now I'm sure this is part scare-mongering, but wondered if anyone else had
>heard this ?  Also, how do airbags affect people wearing glasses ?  Any
>damage likely from the glass breaking right into my eyes ?

If you keep your hand above the wheel, say 12 oclock, and should hte airbag go
off, that's definitely a no-no. best place for hands is 9 and 3, so the bag
will push them to the sides, like you are give
the bag a big hug. 10 and 2 is sort of borderline, despite what others might
say, i dont like it, preferring 9-3 m'self. as for the glasses bit, well, can't
really say. I wear them m;self but they're
poly carbonate lenses; how glass fares is another matter.

http://www.iihs.org/safety_facts/airbags/airbags.htm

good reading.