Re: [OM] [OT] Doin' the Airbag Bash

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Doin' the Airbag Bash
From: siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 14:35:07 -0700
9/22/2002 9:40:43 AM, "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hello List,
>Been catching up on the mail.  At least I've been able to keep the deluge
>downloaded most of the time and been reading bits and pieces.  Gary Edwards
>knows basically what happened as I advised him by email likely about the
>time he was traveling to Indianapolis.
>
>Did the "Airbag Bash" just after noon on Wednesday, Sept. 4th at a traffic
>signal intersection less than a mile from home.  With light having just
>turned green no more than about 3-4 seconds, an oncoming light truck turned
>left into me as I was going straight through the
>intersection.  Result:  head-on collision.  Middle of solid metal truck
>bumper impales itself on the left front of my large 4-Dr sedan.

<snip>

Glad to hear you're OK; the vehicle did it's job by sacrificing its body for
yours. Regarding what hit your right knee, could it be the bunch of keys? All
modern cars except Porsches and Saabs have the
ignition on the right side of the dash or steering column, both places that
might be impacting during a collision, pretensioners or no. Or a column mounted
shift lever (if so equipped).

I've seen more than a fair share of red light runners, particularly at one
horrible intersection (anyone in my area, the I10 E onramp by the LLUMC).

Anyway, great to hear you're ok.