RE: [OM] [OT] Doin' the Airbag Bash

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Doin' the Airbag Bash
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:51:44 +0100
Without wishing to start another "holy war" !! I agree with you on the
Darwin bit ... I see / am endangered by many tens, maybe hundreds, of people
each day on my commute to work, through their gross stupidity.  Might not
seem like many, considering the numbers on the road here in the UK, but is
still too high for me.  If they want to be stupid (changing lanes without
looking, putting on make-up in the rear-view mirror at 70mph - and that
ain't just the women !!, reading a newspaper at 70mph, reading a map - with
it spread halfway across the windscreen - at 70mph, the list is endless -
these are just a couple of the ones I saw recently) then let them - problem
is it endangers me and many others on the road too.

Regards the airbags, I have one on my car.  Only became popular recently in
the UK (compared with the US) and I only have 1 - in the steering wheel.
This seems like a good idea, as even with a belt I'm likely to hit the wheel
with my head in an accident.  I have heard, however, that if you hold the
wheel at a certain position (ie hands in a certain place) then the force of
the airbag going off will force you arms & hands back into your face.  The
rumour continues that you end up poking your eyes out with your own thumbs.
Now I'm sure this is part scare-mongering, but wondered if anyone else had
heard this ?  Also, how do airbags affect people wearing glasses ?  Any
damage likely from the glass breaking right into my eyes ?

Hmm, OM content .... Tough one that .... Oh yes, if I damaged my eyes, I
wouldn't be able to use my OM's or Zuiko's .... (Phew, managed to sneak that
in somehow !)

Jon