RE: [OM] [OT] Doin' the Airbag Bash

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Doin' the Airbag Bash
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 13:07:14 -0600
Ouch.  I have always had concerns about the front airbags because of
premature inflation. If you drive with your hands high on the wheel the bag
can break your arms. I've always thought the air bags were to protect people
who didn't wear their seat belts. I know several people who have been in
accidents and liked the way the bags worked and I don't personally know
anyone who has been injured by the improper operation of one. I have always
thought the side bags were a good idea.

I saw some interesting data on cost a while back. If all the lives claimed
to have been saved, by air bag proponents, were indeed saved by the bags the
cost would amount to about $ 19,000,000 per life. If most of those lives
would have been also saved by the seat belts the economics get interesting.
What do you think about the function of your bag John? Do you think the seat
belt would have been enough protection without the bag?

Regardless of how or why we're all glad you survived.

/jnm