Re: [OM] Shhhhhhhhh...

Subject: Re: [OM] Shhhhhhhhh...
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:50:36 -0700
Ian:

I learned programming on a HP 2100 mini computer.  Our first assignment
was to write an absolute paper tape reader.  You entered the program
from the front panel, in split-octal notation.  The Ford Motor Company
had donated this computer to the university.  It had spent it's life at
Ford running one program, a robot welder.  It had 4k of genuine core
memory.  You know, the magnetic doughnut kind.

We had the DEC Rainbows in the accounting office where I used to work.
I believe they ran CP/M 86, rather than MSDOS.  We eventually upgraded
to a 5 MB (wow!) hard drive.  For some reason (firmware?) we still had
to boot from the diskettes.  The disks were single-sided, quad density,
and cost like they were made of gold.

At one time we had the DEC Rainbow, the Texas Instruments Professional,
and the (original five-slot) IBM PC.  The DEC and the TI were both
superior machines, but were not 100% IBM-compatible.  I ended up in
charge of buying PCs for the office, and endured much abuse from the IT
manager for not buying the TI PC.  They (TI PC) emulated a TI 931 CRT,
and hooked up to the  TI 990/10 mini computer. DX-10 anyone?

Bill Stanke