Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors

Subject: Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:30:21 +0800
Hi Wayne,

You are exactly right concerning the bit depth, my Nikon 4000ED is only 14
bit, not 16 bit. Some lower end scanner claim they have 16 bits but with
lots of noise accompany with the scan (like my Microtek 6700).

I think no video card support 16 bit, all are 8 bit only. You will see some
said 32 bit, I heard the extra 8 bit is for data speed up but I'm not sure,
just read from rec.photo.digital.

For a well trimmed (black and white point) picture file, 8 bit is already
very good. The higher bit depth in scanner is most useful for negative where
the tonal range is very narrow (on the negative itself), for slide it is not
that critical unless you want to make large "curve up" of shadow area.

C.H.Ling