Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors

Subject: Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:45:04 -0700
Yeah, I certainly wasn't talking about scanning prints. The contrast and dynamic range are already seriously compromised on the print and there is no way to get them back. The scans in my experiment of print vs. film scans were only 8 bit and you can clearly see the vast difference in tonal graduation. Of course, 8 bit by 3 colors still gives over 16 million shades and most of the tonal graduation we see in color pictures is not just graduations of pure tones, but combined graduations of all three color channels

Moose

Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:

Yeah, 16bpp -vs- 8bpp would add enough resolution to make all this stuff
pretty academic and low-contrast films win out. I'm basing the original idea
on having done scans of low-contrast prints, and wishing there was more
range in the image, because when I do expand it to get the contrast I want,
it just ends up looking pretty iffy because the lack of different levels in
the original means that mid-tone gradients end up being all stripy-looking.