RE: [OM] More fuel for the Digi-Film debate?

Subject: RE: [OM] More fuel for the Digi-Film debate?
From: "Tom Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:22:46 -0400
On Tuesday, September 10, 2002 at 12:47, William Clark
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "RE: [OM] More fuel for the Digi-Film debate?" saying:

> As someone who studies product markets for a living (I am an economist you
> know..oh no!!!) I think that digital still has barriers.
>
> 1.  First.  There needs to be an affordable way of getting pics printed at
> home that look great without any retouching.  if you read the forums on the
> internet, you will see that nearly everone does some re-sharpening or
> something.  NO "regular" consumer wants to shoot in RAW mode and then
> post-process.

If the one-hour places are acceptable, then most computer prints are
acceptable.

> 2. Cost of a good digital camera.
>
> 3. Print longevity.  Yes I know that Epson has some good inks, but the proof
> is in the pudding; and we won't be able to see the pudding for 80 years.

The prints will still last MUCH longer than current dye-based photo
prints.

> I for one would go digital as I love doing it and processing.  But I cannot
> get a dye sub for matte finishes.  IS there one out there?
>
> -Bill
>
> As for photography here in Ottawa Canada, we have kept in touch with our
> wedding photographer over the years and he says no one up here shoots
> digital for wedding events.  His estimate is the 99 per cent is medium
> format.

Geeze, how many Zuikonuts are there in Ottawa?
Bruce Hamm, Mark Dapoz, you, me, ...

tOM
------- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714