RE: [OM] More fuel for the Digi-Film debate?

Subject: RE: [OM] More fuel for the Digi-Film debate?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:49:33 -0700
As someone who studies product markets for a living (I am an
economist you know..oh no!!!) I think that digital still has
barriers.

1.  First.  There needs to be an affordable way of getting pics
printed at home that look great without any retouching.  if you read
the forums on the internet, you will see that nearly everone does
some re-sharpening or something.  NO "regular" consumer wants to
shoot in RAW mode and then post-process.

I think you are right with that point.  It is beginning to look like
film is going to be the medium for the technologically clueless and
large format pros.

2. Cost of a good digital camera.

That does not seem to be preventing sales. Go into a big camera store
and see where the crowd is.  Not in front of the film cameras.

3. Print longevity.  Yes I know that Epson has some good inks, but
the proof is in the pudding; and we won't be able to see the pudding
for 80 years.

I have had photographic color prints ordered from my local pro shop
and stored in the dark fade to magenta in less than 5 years.  I have
a 10 year old HP ink jet print on my frig opposite a window to the
outside that has faded less.  There is no question in my mind that
printer inks are now more archival than color prints.

-snip

-Bill

--
Winsor Crosby