Re: [OM] 4000 dpi scanner recommndations?

Subject: Re: [OM] 4000 dpi scanner recommndations?
From: w shumaker <rlist@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:43:46 -0400
At 03:27 AM 8/15/2002, you wrote:

>which program do you use for making the scanner profile?

At the moment, none. But I'm looking into that and would certainly
appreciate any knowledge anyone can share. So, just raw bits into
photoshop with my own curve adjustments, often done in the scanner
software. I plan to upgrade printer and scanner soon. At the moment,
the difference between printer output and monitor output don't match,
with much warmer and flatter prints than the screen. I have the Epson
1200 printer. My co-worker, working from the exact same scan,
un-adjusted, gets much better results on his 2000P, which tends to be
cooler to begin with. I've used all the standard monitor gamma and
color temperature adjustments (via photoshop and/or video card driver).
I'm starting to believe the printer profile is the most important.
(I've used both Adobe98 or sRGB color spaces.)

So, my impression is the nikon scanner with non-color managed output is
directly usable, especially if shadow detail is to be preserved. And
that it is just a matter of getting the monitor to printer profiles in
order. But I'm between a novice and an amateur at this. My
understanding is that the ICC profile is just a table mapping one set
of values to another. For the scanner, I prefer making my own curve
adjustments for that since I often also adjust the individual RGB gains
from their histograms. So in the end, it all requires that I be able to
see the result correctly on the monitor, and then be able to print what
I see. And of course there is the color space choice.... Maybe I'm just
digging a hole for myself?

I'm curious if anyone has experience with ColorVision's Spyder with
Photocal software? Or any calibration software?

Wayne