[OM] OM Owner Emeritus

Subject: [OM] OM Owner Emeritus
From: "Larry J. Clark" <ljclark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:27:56 -0400
All,

This evening I secured the last strip of packing tape on a large box with
over 88 individual pieces of OM gear - headed to a large dealer as a single
wholesale buy.

It is certainly with mixed feelings that I transition from OM owner to
former OM owner.  Times change, and we have to make the decisions about
where we go with out interests in photography, whether amateur,
professional, or somewhere in-between.

I first saw an OM when I was a photojournalism major at San Jose State.  The
brother of one of my classmates/buddies worked for the importer, and we got
to use one of the first OM-1s in the country at Laguna Seca Raceway for a
weekend.  Needless to say, I was impressed.  The problem was that I was
already fully into Nikon F, and with the OM being new, I wouldn't have
access either used or gray market OM items.  I eventually talked my brother
into getting and OM-1, a decision he's never regretted.

Then about 6 or 7 years ago I decided to rekindle my photography, took all
of my Nikon F gear down to the Bay Area, and started acquiring Olympus OM
gear for myself.  I eventually ended up with two bodies, three flashes,
about 14 lenses (all but 5 are Zuikos), and both Olympus teleconverters.
Super shooter.  Super feel.

But recently, I started shooting more sports, specifically women's soccer.
And you know what?  There really is a reason for Auto Focus.  I purchased a
Nikon F100 and a Tokina 100-300...the percentage of good shots is much, much
higher, and in the past month I've been taking shots that would have been
virtually impossible with the OM gear (using Tokina AT-X 80-200, 100-300,
and 150-500).  This transition happened pretty quickly -- I just got the
100-300 last month.

The OM filled a unique niche, a pro camera that was small and light and easy
to carry.  But another trumpet called, and I've fallen head over heels into
Cosina/Voigtlander RFs.  Starting with an L, then and R, and now with two
R2s, I found a very satisfactory camera for travel and general travel.  With
15mm, 21mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 75mm lenses, I'm doing just fine.  (The L and R
have been sold)

As you can see, my camera needs split right at the OM, with a larger camera
doing jobs the OM can't, and a more compact solution than even the OM.  So I
really didn't need OM anymore, and the sale will buy me a 300mm f/2.8, and
several primes.  A second F100 body is right around the corner.

My favorite OM tactile experience?  I don't think anything compares with the
look, feel and handling of a 100mm f/2 mounted on an OM-2.  Sweet.  But
sweet sitting on the shelf isn't much good when other cameras are out there
working.  I don't keep cameras I don't use.  I got rid of a Leica IIIg for
just that reason, to the shock of some.

I use my Minoxes and my Horizon, so that's really four types of camera in
three film formats...More than enough.

My brother Jim gets an OM-2 body from me, wholesale, with a good shoe,
eyecup 2, Domke strap, and a 1-14 screen.  I guess I could have pieced
things out, but time is short around this house.  The emergency management
consulting business was hectic enough before September 11.  You can imagine
what it is like these days.

The things that I WILL make available to the list are three Shipmans and
that big, slick Olympus lens guide.  Price and terms to be announced, but
there will be a limit of one per customer.  (I will ignore all requests for
further information on those books until I announce.)  If someone wants to
make me a really good offer on the Mannheim book (1979) I might perk up, but
it is likely to go someplace on consignment.

I'll be notifying links and tearing down the Olympus part of my web
site...I've been pretty lax about it the last couple of years anyway.

It's been fun shooting OM, and shooting the breeze with you all...But it is
time to move on.

Best regards,
Larry Clark

 Paradigm Associates...
  "Providing Complex Solutions for Simple Problems"
     Visit our web site at:
         http://www.twodimes.org
     or set your navigation system to:
         38-46.883N  77-15.818W