Re: [OM] OM Owner Emeritus

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Owner Emeritus
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 09:48:00 -0300

>That's interesting, I just came away from reading again about the
>Cosina/Voigtlander RF's on the cameraquest site, and read this email. I've
>been thinking about getting an R for some time, but somehow it still
reminds
>me too much of my OM2000, which isn't all bad, but definitely not an OM1n,
>or 2s. The R still looks to have that plastic back, and does the timer
lever
>feel cheapy on the R like the 2000? It looks a little more substantial in
>the pics. Somehow I just can't seem to justify the price yet, but in the
>near future I may try one.
>Wayne

Well, it is a cheap camera.  About 300f the price of one of the few
remaining new OM4Ti bodies and not substantially smaller or lighter
with a selection of similarly slow OM lenses.

Rangefinders are fun though and provide a different way  of seeing.
Considering that the Cosina will probably not be as collectable as a
Praktica in a few years one would probably be better off looking for
a clean M Leica and lenses which you can resell for more money in the
future than you paid for it should you decide to part with it. But
you probably will not get rid of it because you are worth it.  :-)
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

I do have a problem of keeping most of what I buy. But I also like to buy
things knowing that I can hopefully resell it someday and get most, if not
all, my money back, if I want to. So that is definitely a problem with the
Voigtlander RF's. Leica's are out of my price range.
Another problem I have is, I don't mind using most any camera that will give
good results, just so long as it says Olympus on it somewhere. :-)
As to rangefinder's, I use a couple RC's right now that do most of what I
want. I like the small size, full range of flash sync, quality of the lens,
and price. Picked up the second one in LN condition recently for $58.
Here is what cameraquest says about the quality: " Camera 35 tested the lens
to resolve 80+ mm center resolution, from f/5.6 to f/16. "  Good enough for
me. I also like the GN flash system, and recently bought an olympus S20 from
Henry's for it, a really, really, compact (cosina made) flash with a GN of
20, or 40 when using 400 iso.
Also, I think I like macro work too much to put a lot of money into RF's.
As for the OM4ti's, I "think" I am quite satisfied with the 2s and 1n, the 2
OM bodies I find myself using all the time now. I just use the OM2000 for
multiple exposures.
My 2 oldest sons have confiscated the OM10 and OMPC I had when I joined this
list about one year ago. Also took about a half dozen of my lenses.
Wayne