[OM] Which NiMH batteries to choose?

Subject: [OM] Which NiMH batteries to choose?
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 13:30:03 +0200
Hi,

I'm calling upon your expertise here, as I'm not certain what to buy.

The question regards the various NiMH penlites, for being used in flashes
(particularly in the F280 and the T32). At present, there are various GP
Powerbank loaders and batteries, a.o. these are:
-GP powerbank 1: loader incl 4 1300 mAH batteries: +/- $22 (USD)
-GP powerbank 2: loader incl 4 1600 mAH batteries: +/- $31 (USD)
-GP powerbank 3: loader incl 4 1800 mAH batteries: +/- $36 (USD)

obviously the capacity is not. I already have a GP Powerbank 1 loader, this
one is of the "dripple-loading" kind (I hope that's the correct term for it,
what I mean is that it performs a full load, and once the battery is loaded,
it switches to dripple loading).

Now, the questions:
-Can the GP Powerbank 1 completely load 1800 mAH batteries (be it perhaps in
more than 14 hours), or does one need a GP Powerbank 3 for that?
-I seem to recall that for a flash there is little practical difference
between using 1300 vs. 1800 mAH batteries, but I'm not positive about this.
Is this indeed the case, or is it useful to do use the 1800 kind?
-Given the price differences, which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance, and cheers!
Olafo