Re: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:34:25 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I would warn against saving ANY archival scans with the JPG format.  It
is a lossy format which compresses the pixels when saved by averaging.
Then every time you open a JPG and save it again, it compresses
(averages) the pixels once more.  files can quickly become "blocky".

Use a TIF or a PNG for archiving.  They are lossless - meaning you never
lose informaion by saving and resaving. When you want to send a copy to
someone or put it on the web, save it as a JPG.

Conrad<

Well, duh, of course.  My archives are the slides themselves.  I wouldn't
dream of "archiving" them in any digital format, TIFF or any other, each
and every one of which sucks, when you get right down to it.  I've got
Ektachrome superslides from the late 1950s that I shot with my first "real"
camera, a Yashica 44 twin lens reflex, and that I processed myself -- it
was E-2 or 3 back then -- and mounted in cardboard mounts, sealed with my
mother's iron, and they look pretty much the same today as they did then,
because they've been properly stored.  And I expect they'll last a bit
longer because they're still properly stored.

My eyes are analog, not digital, and my pictures are, too, and will stay
that way in my archives.  Digital is just a convenience, like PhotoShop,
which, IMO, is mainly a crutch for incompetent photographers who couldn't
get it right in the camera to begin with.  :-)

Fire away.

Walt