[OM] Re: archive slide scanning

Subject: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:07:34 -0400
Benson writes:

>I am actually quite disappointed by the poor quality scans of the
slides by the HP photoscanner.  In contrast, no pun intended,
negatives look really good. The slides come out washed out, without
contrast, color, and are all dark. The negatives produce excellent
pictures - quite vibrant, what I would expect.  Either I am doing
something wrong, or the machine has a problem (it is new), or I am
expecting too much. Does anyone have any experience with the
s20? I have worked with the 2400 dpi resolution - and I am using the
software that ships with it.
Benson<

Benson,

I've had an HP S20 for a couple of years and have gotten quite satisfactory
results from both negatives and transparencies.  All my TOPE entries,
except TOPE 1, are slides scanned with the S20 and diddled with only
slightly in Picture Window 2.5 and reduced to TOPE dimensions.  Since the
anonymity period is up tomorrow, I'll refer you to TOPE 10,     entry 8,
which you have seen and favorably commented upon, thank you, as an example.
 I scan everything at 2400 dpi and save in JPG format.  There may be a
problem with your scanner.  I hope not, and I wish I could be more helpful.

Walt