Re: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning
From: Conrad Vogel <conrad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:45:07 -0700
I would warn against saving ANY archival scans with the JPG format. It is a lossy format which compresses the pixels when saved by averaging. Then every time you open a JPG and save it again, it compresses (averages) the pixels once more. files can quickly become "blocky".

Use a TIF or a PNG for archiving. They are lossless - meaning you never lose informaion by saving and resaving. When you want to send a copy to someone or put it on the web, save it as a JPG.

Conrad

Walt Wayman wrote:

I've had an HP S20 for a couple of years and have gotten quite satisfactory
results from both negatives and transparencies.  All my TOPE entries,
except TOPE 1, are slides scanned with the S20 and diddled with only
slightly in Picture Window 2.5 and reduced to TOPE dimensions.  Since the
anonymity period is up tomorrow, I'll refer you to TOPE 10,     entry 8,
which you have seen and favorably commented upon, thank you, as an example.
 I scan everything at 2400 dpi and save in JPG format.  There may be a
problem with your scanner.  I hope not, and I wish I could be more helpful.

Walt