[OM] Re: Rechargable Batteries

Subject: [OM] Re: Rechargable Batteries
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:40:03 -0700
In a message dated 6/26/2002 Dave Dougherty writes:

<< What is the consensus re. NiMH AA rechargable batteries?  I would like to
purchase some quality batteries.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I
will be using them in my E-20. >>

Unless you have the Olympus Lipo pack or other external battery pack (there
are some cleaver homebrew packs out there made from RC car batteries) NiMh
batteries are essential for E-10/20 owners. I have 5 sets (of 4) and two
chargers and find this ample for a day of shooting. I carry ~512mb in memory
cards and usually shoot in 2.7:1 or 4:1 JPEG mode, I often run power hungry
LCD panel to do field review/editing, and use a set in my T-32 which is used
now almost exclusively on the E-10--synch at all speeds is just too cool.
Haven't run out of power yet and seldom have to change batteries in the E-10
more than once in a day of shooting. One good tip I heard is to have an
extra battery holder so you can carry it pre-loaded for quicker battery
changes. There are reviews out there on which NiMh batteries are the best,
but the best for me are whatever I find on sale cheap ;-) (Costco had a
decent price on Panasonic NiMh batteries.)

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com