Re: [OM] OM Bodies and Lenses FS

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Bodies and Lenses FS
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:33:16 -0700
on 6/13/02 1:06 PM, Winsor Crosby at wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> You also may be surprised to hear there are many other OM list
>> members "over there" discussing their Leicas and Voigtlanders...
>>
>> George S.
>
> I went in the other direction.  My first camera was a Pen F which I
> quickly sold to a fellow GI and my first real camera was an M3.  The
> purchase involved lots of illegal haggling between my German 3G
> toting friend who ran  the EM photolab and a friend of his who ran a
> shop in Baumholder. After years of use and  lots of experimentation
> later with cumbersome Visoflex attachments everything was stolen.
> Much as I loved the Leica I could not afford to replace it then and I
> really wanted an SLR at that point. After an initial mistake with a
> Canon F1 I settled on the OM4T which I thought embodied the compact,
> rugged, simple philosophy of my M3 much better than a Leicaflex. And
> what is with that R8 big bertha? The M7 is sweet though.
> --
> Winsor Crosby
> Long Beach, California
>
> ?

I had a Leica first (IIIg + some lenses) and then moved to OM when the need
for an SLR with a meter became apparent. I like the OM series because it was
smaller, and that fits my small hands well. Still have the Leica, and would
like to get more, but the financial situation won't accomodate it.

I have since developed an interest in the Pen F's and FT's so I got some of
those... and now I'm back to rangefinders with an interest in the
Cosina-Voigtlander cameras and lenses (which are much more affordable than
Leica, although not during my present unemployment...). So I'm coming around
almost full-circle... though there have been a few interesting detours on
the route <g>.

I handled a Leica R8 for a bit, and while it is large it is shaped most
wonderfully to fit my hands with controls just at the right places. It looks
large and 'blobby' but the shape fits very nicely. Of course, I can't afford
that either, and I'd buy an M6 before an R8 anyway...
--

Jim Brokaw